As October whizzes past, all talk of an Indian summer dying away, we must face the inevitability of winter… Love it or hate it, it’s on its way, so time to find the positives – which at this stage have to be Halloween and Bonfire Night (yes, it is still too early to mention any other festivities!).
There are lots of other upsides to winter, for me it’s boots and big jumpers, but I’m sure everyone has their own aspect of the colder season that they love… There is no better autumn / winter night in, than curled up with a fire roaring…
And there’s still time to get your home fully prepared ahead of winter. Just a few small maintenance tasks will ensure that you are cosy all the way through to spring next year…
- Check the seals on your windows and doors. Draught excluders will make a huge difference to the warmth in a room if you can feel cold seeping through the seal.
- Make sure your gutters are clean (or have been cleaned) to avoid getting blockages and lots of water soaking into your external walls.
- The same with your drains, keep them clear of debris now to avoid blocked winter drains!
- Get your boiler serviced. Prevention is better than cure, so don’t wait until your boiler breaks down and leaves you freezing – have a once a year service so that you are secure in the knowledge you’re well set up for winter.
- Carry out some basic garden maintenance so that you know that your fence is secure for the season and not likely to blow down in a winter gale, ensure that your shed is watertight, and trees around your property are trimmed back so that no branches can come down and cause any damage.
- Check that your loft is fully insulated and all pipes are lagged.
Forestrall are here to help, whatever the season, so don’t forget to check out our online stores (South East and Kent) when you need supplies – whether for a home DIY job, or if you’re a tradesperson and need materials for your next contract.